Our teachers at NAMI Big Island are offering more classes via Zoom. These are free, state-wide virtual classes, but you must register with us via email.
NAMI Family & Friends is a free 2-day seminar for people who have loved ones with a mental health condition. The seminar is led by trained people with lived experience of supporting a family member with a mental health condition. You will learn about treatment, communication, crisis strategies, and where to find community resources.
June 19 & 26 (10 a.m. to 12 noon)
For people who want to further their learning, or want interactive, hands-on training:
NAMI Family-to-Family is a free, 8-session educational program for family, significant others and friends of people with mental health conditions. It is a designated evidenced-based program. This means that research shows that the program significantly improves the coping and problem-solving abilities of the people closest to a person with a mental health condition. It is taught by NAMI-trained family members who have been there, and includes presentations, discussions and interactive exercises.
- How to solve problems and communicate effectively
- Taking care of yourself and managing your stress
- Supporting your loved one with compassion
- Finding and using local supports and services
- Up-to-date information on mental health conditions and how they affect the brain
- How to handle a crisis
- Current treatments and therapies
- The impact of mental health conditions on the entire family
April 10, 17, 24, May 1, 8, 15, 22, 29 (Saturdays, 9am -12 noon)